run dialog vs gnome_vfs_url_show

We have a couple of issues with gnome_vfs_url_show and the run dialog
that needs some sort of solution.

The main change in gnome_url_show/gnome_vfs_url_show in 2.4 is that it
now looks at the type of the destination file instead of just the form
of the URL. This means its doing actual I/O with all the problems that
give.

For an example of how this gives problems, try typing something random
in the run dialog. Since this is not an executable name
gnome_vfs_make_uri_from_input() will turn it into a URI by adding
http:// to it, and the run dialog will then contact this address, fail
and give a pretty strange error dialog. I don't know what happens if you
do this on a machine with no network setup...

It can be worse though... Try typing "slashdot.org" in the run dialog.
This makes the panel hang a few minutes, because slashdot doesn't like
the PROPFIND request and waits forever to reply to it. Gnome vfs has no
timeouts in it, so it just blocks the whole process until the remote
side sent its reply. I think we just need to add some timeout code to
gnome-vfs to protect it against this (if the PROPFIND times out it will
still work, since it fallbacks to normal http requests).

I'm not sure what to do about this. The reason we want to really know
the type of a http: uri is so that we can do the right thing wrt the
type of file it points to. If its an image, we want to open it in eog,
not the web browser. Maybe this isn't all that important, and we should
revive the handler for the whole http scheme. Doing that brings back an
age-old bug though, it means desktop links to a webdav directory ends up
in the webbrowser instead of the file manager.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a jaded white trash paramedic on the run. She's a ditzy Bolivian
advertising executive from a different time and place. They fight crime!