Re: gnome-terminal and some character codings

On Mon, 2003-08-25 at 11:28, JOAO PAULO PAGAIME DA SILVA wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   characters like "é", "ü", "ã" or "ç" aren't displayed in
> gnome-terminal. However, after clicking
> Terminal->Character
> Coding->Unicode they are displayed. Is there any way to
> make this the
> default (set the default encoding to UTF-8)? I tried to
> edit the profile
> but there's nothing regarding this. When i execute
> gnome-terminal like
> # LC_ALL=pt_PT gnome-terminal --disable-factory
> i get those characters displayed, but i don't want to use
> a different
> charset, i'm fine with the default. I just want to be able
> to display
> those characters.

This is probably the wrong list for this general user-application type
of question (gnome-list gnome org is possibly more appropriate), but
still...

What is your normal locale setting? The solution may be to use a
UTF-8-based locale (e.g. my system uses en_AU.UTF-8 and I can see all
the characters you mention) of whatever you are currently using. So can
you just set your locale to pt_PT.UTF8? It's a bit confusing from the
above, since you say that pt_PT works as you would expect; so I'm not
too clear on what the problem is.

It is unclear what version of GNOME and which distribution you are
running, so it is not immediately clear if this will "just work", but it
might.

Cheers,
Malcolm