Re: gnome-xscreensaver (and some fast user switching)

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 18:56, Sven Herzberg wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>   I'd like to start working on a gnome xscreensaver replacement. I
> currently took a look into kscreensaver and xscreensaver for now, but as
> things like fast user switching come up now, we should try to get some
> neccessary features now that I didn't start creating a gnomeish version.
>
> Things I'd like to see:
>
>   * ability to use xscreensaver hacks
>   * utilisation of D-BUS as we might get a good idle-time codebase
>     for a d-bus version of dr. wright that uses the same way to
>     get idle-information as xscreensaver does.
>   * a small library (like libkscreensaver) that makes the creation
>     of new gnome-screensavers quite easy.
>
> What stuff is neccessary to solve the xscreensaver discussion regarding
> fast user switching?
>
> Regards,
>   Sven

The biggest problem is that currently, users will have to "login" twice
to get at an existing session.  If they "switch user" to a user who is
already logged in, they have to enter their passwords in both gdm and
the xscreensaver password dialogs.  Also, you cannot switch users from a
terminal with a screensaver running. There are any number of solutions
to the second problem (add a "Log In As A Different User" button or some
such to the password dialog), but none immediately jump to mind for the
first problem.  I suppose gdm could run 'xscreensaver -unlock' after
changing vt's just as it currently runs 'xscreensaver -lock' before
showing the log in screen.
--
--Shahms