Re: [gst-devel] Re: Helix Player virtual team meeting

On Thu, Dec 11, 2003 at 09:31:37PM -0800, Rob Lanphier wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 20:29, Luis Villa wrote:
> > Just to be clear, I'm ready to accept binary-only stuff /only/ if the
> > framework is Free,
>
> It is.

  Can it be embedded freely [beer and libre] into closed source applications
based on the framework. It seems the answer is no, unless things changed
since our discussion in Dublin at GUADEC.

  The big big problem w.r.t. integration with GNOME is that GNOME do not
want to rely on libraries whose licence do not allow by default to build
closed source applications. I think it is absolutely crucial to keep this
in order to get ISV interest in our framework, and apparently Real Networks
is not ready to make such a generous offer. Your libraries and codecs did
cost a lot to develop (you did not develop them the Open Source way
for a variety of reason, probably this just isn't possible, nothing to blame
about this, this might the state of the industry), we perfectly understand
that. It seems to me that 2 radical choices made by the GNOME project
and by Real Network are in contradiction. It is fine for Real Network to
reuse the code of the GNOME project for building closed source applications
if they want, or to build a toolkit which won't be usable under the same
terms as GNOME itself, but we cannot rely on the Real Network code and
codecs for our own framework as far as I can tell. This is unfortunate
but unless either of both entities radically changes its mind about
their respective Licence, I don't think the GNOME project can reuse your
code.

Daniel