Re: 2.4 features to consider

On Mon, Feb 03, 2003 at 11:32:57PM -0500, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> Actually, I don't think this is the biggest problem we have with the
> clipboard right now.  The biggest problem (as we all know :-)) is that
> adding clipboard support to the applications is really hard, and no-one
> ever gets it right.  Also, we lack any tutorials that explain how to do
> it.  As a result, clipboard support is pathetic; sadly, not just between
> apps, but also within the same app.
>
> So, probably it would be worthwhile to simplify the APIs and fix the cut
> & paste situation before writing the daemon.

GtkClipboard in GTK 2.0 was an attempt to do this, and it does have
complete reference docs. I think you'll have to be more specific about
what is still too hard about
gtk_clipboard_set_text()/gtk_clipboard_wait_for_text().

All of GTK needs tutorial, not just this.

> Also, GTK should support basic cut & paste for its native widgets, like
> entry boxes.  Making the implementation of the basic "Cut", "Copy" and
> "Paste" menu items trivial (and basically working out of the box for the
> stock widgets) should probably be a base requirement of the menu API
> that Owen mentioned on gtk-devel-list...

You mean like gtk_editable_cut_clipboard(),
gtk_editable_copy_clipboard(), gtk_editable_paste_clipboard()?

Gluing it to the menu API so the global Edit menu works on widgets has
been discussed some. This is one of the (many) issues to hash out with
respect to the menu API.

Havoc