Re: 2.3 Proposed Features

<quote who="Malcolm Tredinnick">

> I am, instead, talking about orthogonal components that can live without
> the others, but also work with them if available.

> But I would like the dependency chains to look like "can use this feature
> from library X", rather than "must have library X installed in all
> circumstances". Then we can have some top-level libraries that require
> everything as wrappers (or pluggable modules, with respect to Havoc's idea
> of a single API).

Yes, but instead we have a lower-level library that upper-level libraries
provide pluggable modules for. This is similar to how librsvg provides GTK+
with an SVG pixmap module, or fontconfig/totem provide thumbnailers for
Nautilus.

The basics are available in GTK+ and Nautilus, but stuff that depends on
them can provide more features through modules.

- Jeff

--
   "I think hot Chinese girls who kick ass are the wave of the future, as
                      far as films go." - Cody Russell