Re: Toplevel keybindings

On Fri, Feb 07, 2003 at 02:35:22PM +1300, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> 	The new toplevel widget currently binds some of metacity's
> window keybindings to similar functions on the panel.
[...]
> 	So there's a few questions about this:
[...]
> 	4) We're tying ourselves closely here to metacity. Maybe we
> 	   should only do this if metacity is running (this is what
> 	   the keybindings dialog does).

It sounds like you want the other option here: the relevant keybindings
should be stored in a more general gconf key (currently, everything is
under /apps/metacity/window_keybindings) and the panel uses that.

My gut feeling is that there are a number of keybindings that are likely
to be in any window manager, no matter what its design philosophy is, so
some of them can be moved to a different location and the panel should
restrict itself to those alone. You don't want everything in the one
place, I suspect, just some things. But this is a whole fresh, new can
of worms.

The problem with the approach your are broaching, Mark, is that a GNOME
desktop will be explicitly unable work fully with any window manager
that is not Metacity, no matter how spec-compliant the window manager
is. Any other ideas on how to avoid this?

(P.S. There is an impressive amount of thought and content in your panel
design posts so far. Nice to see that your human cloning experiments
have worked and all four Mark McLoughlins are working hard. :-) )

Malcolm

--
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.