Re: 2.3 Feature Request: Inactive toolbar icons

On Fri, 2003-02-07 at 08:43, iain wrote:
> fre, 2003-02-07 kl. 16:12 skrev shaihulud supereva it:
> > Jeff Waugh wrote:
> >
> > >We're mostly looking for "yes, I am coding >this feature" emails, rather than
> > >suggestions. Sorry. :-) You may want to >lodge a GTK+ bug on this, though -
> > >it would be much prettier!
> >
> > >- Jeff
> >
> > Thanks iain for make the patch ! Here is a screenshot:
> > http://discomachinegun.prettypeople.org/~iain/insensitive.png
> >
> > I think that would be better if the alpha  is scaled down at 75-80%. In this way the inactive icons look better on a light or dark background.
>
> Alpha is now halfed. Attached patch does so. It could probably be made
> faster, by replacing the 2 for loops with one.
> http://www.prettypeople.org/~iain/insensitive2.png

That looks much better. I still think it's darker than it should be to
the point of being confusing. In particular the media buttons (play,
etc.) don't look very light since they already have a full range of
alpha values. I think the target should be "as light as possible while
still being legable." That way users can easily glance at the buttons
and see what options are available and only think about the insensative
buttons when they are.

The same example at 25% visability is at

http://www.cs.hmc.edu/~ben/pix/insensitive3.png

--Ben