Re: New toplevel behaviour

Hi Will,

On Sat, 2003-02-08 at 04:52, Will LaShell wrote:
> On Thu, 2003-02-06 at 18:33, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > Hi,
> > 	There are some mildly controversial changes in the panel
> > behaviour with the new toplevel widget.
> >
> > 	1) Autohiding hides into the corner of the screen. This change
> > 	   was recommended by the usability team based on the fact the
> > 	   unhiding the panel isn't any harder - you just throw the
> > 	   mouse into the corner of the screen - but it makes
> > 	   operations near the edge of the screen a lot less error
> > 	   prone - previously you had to be careful not to go near the
> > 	   hidden panel.
>
> One consideration that may not have been thought about is with Xinerama
> desktops. I have an edge panel but it encompasses the "edge" of one
> screen in the middle of my monitor array. If my "unhide" target is in
> the corner of this screen I have a very small target to hit because I
> can't "throw" the mouse into that corner. It will simply cross into the
> next screen. I know there might be a tendency to disregard this as an
> issue that most users won't be faced with, but the number of programmers
> and business users with multiple screens is increasing all the time.

	This has been taken into consideration - AFAIR, if the panel is not in
an actual screen corner (as opposed to a Xinerama monitor corner) it
won't hide into a corner - it'll just use the old behaviour.

	Of course, the Xinerama code mightened work too well. I haven't tested
it that extensively ...

Good Luck,
Mark.