Re: gnome-common/macros2 cleanup

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 11:19:58PM +0800, James Henstridge wrote:
> Based on this, the only macros I would consider worth keeping in
> gnome-common are:
>
>     * GNOME_COMPILE_WARNINGS

I think we should try to get this one in the autoconf distribution.
"Turn on the best-practices set of warnings for the current compiler"

>     * GNOME_DEBUG_CHECK

I'm not sure this is really useful, I would just let modules do their
own thing. For example metacity has --enable-verbose and so forth.

But if it is useful, again it belongs in autoconf.

> The common autogen.sh script could probably do with a bit of a cleanup.
>  The main one is to allow modules to select an autoconf version other
> than automake-1.4.  While you might consider this unnecessary if we
> standardise on a single automake version, it will help during
> transition.

I agree you should able to select your autoconf/automake version.
(Not that it does us any good until someone fixes scrollkeeper/etc.
rules to pass distcheck with new automake)

> What does everyone else think about this?

I'm inclined to can gnome-common entirely and move gnome-autogen.sh
somewhere else such as pkgconfig or glib. Really it should just be
part of "autoreconf" but autoreconf isn't quite right for us.
(Since the use of glib-gettextize is part of the reason why, perhaps
glib-reconf is the way)

Havoc