Re: gnome audio

Rodney Dawes sez:

> I don't think this is on freedesktop.org yet, and my attachment of it
> got clipped by evo or mailman when I sent it to xdg-list, or I'd just
> paste the url for the thread. HTML version is available also, at:
>
> http://elysium-project.sourceforge.net/sound-theme-spec/t1.html

Hi dobey:

This could either be a good thing or bad thing for accessibility; it
could be good, since it gives a common API for desktop sound support
which could be plugged into.  On the other hand, it could be bad for
hearing-impaired users if thought isn't given to how to export the same
info which is conveyed by sound events in a non-audio format.

Have you thought about how, in addition to supporting multiple audio
formats, etc., the spec could support alternate media (statusbar
messages, etc.) which hooked into the audio events?  The basic
requirement for accessibility would be that it would be possible for
some non-audio channel to plug into the sound-theme; this would
alleviate the need for desktop applications and utilities to provide
non-audio info alongside the audio channel (which is currently required
of applications which present audio-only information or events, in order
for the apps to be fully accessible). It sound to me[*] as if this would
be pretty straightforward to do in a general-purpose desktop sounds
framework.

regards,

Bill

[*] no pun intended