Re: toplevel keybindings

> hadess said
> > btw, while discussing keybindings; can we move the screenshot and run
> > dialog bindings to metacity please? There's at least one bug open
> > caused by not having all global bindings in one place, and those are
> > the last two not in metacity. The way global bindings work in X, we
> > simply need a single app to do them all.

For users of assistive technologies this isn't currently possible; ATs
(being "meta"-apps) make heavy use of global keybindings (for instance
for screenreader control), and they use at-spi API to establish them, so
at-spi-registryd issues a lot of passive keygrabs.  Many of these may
fail due to conflicts, and the clients are supposed to check this and
try alternate keybindings, etc.  It's a nasty ugly mess, but there's no
nice solution unless we really do create some sort of
gnome-global-keybindings-daemon.

When considering keybindings generally, we need to try and avoid
conflicts, and ATs are prone to them.  I have suggested that we try and
form some guidellines about suggested "reserved" modifier/keysym
combinations; ideally we'd have some blocks reserved for the WM and
'general' desktop utilities (panel, acme, etc.), some for apps, some for
accessibility and similar "meta"-utilities.   (I've suggested this
before but have had no response, but I'm sure the desirability of this
should be apparent).  If we map out reserved regions then we can
minimize conflicts and probably a lot of the bugs associated with
multiple XGrabKey clients would go away.  Alternately, we could indeed
have some keybindings daemon that would help a little (by for instance
allowing multiple clients with various levels of pre-emption, etc.); I
don't think that in this case the feature should live in metacity, but
should probably be split off.

regards,

Bill

--