Re: A Brief Comparrison of Gnome 2.2 & KDE 3.1

On Sat, Feb 22, 2003 at 07:54:51AM +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Sean Middleditch">
>
> > One thing GNOME2 is missing that Ximian GNOME had (hopefully will have) is
> > the Doorman.  That was very useful, and could help protect against this;
> > it could detect a new version of GNOME, and among it's other questions,
> > ask if the user would like his desktop reset to the default (along with
> > the options to mimic other desktops for familiarity).
>
> It would be *wonderful* to see some serious hacking on Doorman for 2.4. :-)

Doorman has a couple issues that would need to be considered IMO:

 - one-time migration of settings or system state is broken; because
   it needs to be possible to share a single home directory between
   two versions of GNOME

 - people should NOT be asked to change settings on first login, when
   they've never even tried the default settings and have no concrete
   idea what the desktop is even like, IMHO

 - we don't want bugs caused by "doorman did not run for some reason"
   (I have the impression that I've seen various "kpersonalizer did
   not run yet" bugs for KDE apps, typically the issue is using KDE
   apps with GNOME)

Red Hat 8 removes kpersonalizer from KDE by default (you can still run
it manually) for the second reason, and for the additional reason that
you've already gone through the installer and firstboot wizards so a
third wizard is kind of strange and kind of annoying.

So some careful thought re: what doorman is for would be warranted.  I
don't really think asking people if they want Windows or Mac like
configuration on first login is a good idea, at all, frankly.

Havoc