Re: On disk theme format for icons?

Rodney Dawes <dobey free fr> writes:

> I'd like to also propose putting the theme detection stuff that is in
> theme-common.[ch] in libgnome or somewhere, that apps can easily use it.

I thought about that, but couldn't think of it being useful for any app.
It keeps changing too, so it's definitely better remaining private for
now.

> Doing this will help with the earlier proposal I made for a standardized
> filesystem layout for themed things, and will allow applications to
> handle setting their own themes more easily, based on it.

I'd prefer it if we had fewer themes rather than more themes.  (-:

> We really shouldn't try to shove every possible theme setting we can
> into one single capplet. Having metatheme be extensible enough to
> handle extra facets of the theme, such as gnomeicu icons or xmms
> skins, and still keeping them out of the capplet, and keeping the UI
> simple seems like the best thing to do.

For 2.2, there's no way we are going to do a generic theme
implementation.  Getting all the bugs out of the current code is my
number one priority.

> If people are actually interested in the filesystem stuff I proposed
> back in August, and won't just go straight for the implementation now,
> as one exists (albeit a poor one, due to the haste and lack of design),
> I would be glad to create a theme standard proposal for freedesktop.
> The propsal would consist of filesystem layout and API specs for
> allowing individual applications to comply easily.

I don't like the spec either, and have complained to Alex already.  By
all means, propose an alternative to xdg, and see if you can get
consensus.  It would be nice to have a unified theme system in the
future.

-Jonathan