Re: A Few Standard Folders [Re: Structure in $HOME]

Alan Horkan wrote:
I would be very interested to see
$HOME/Documents
$HOME/Images
$HOME/Music
$HOME/Web Pages
$HOME/Video
perhaps more ...

I'd like to either add a $HOME/Downloads directory or change "Web Pages" to read as "Downloads". Mozilla, Galeon, gFTP, etc., could then all default to using that directory to download files to. Setting up GConf keys for each generic location would also be cool, so that a control panel applet could be written to modify them, and then any application which wanted to use them would know where the user wants a particular file saved. For instance, we could have a key /system/default_directories/documents with $HOME/Documents as its default value, and whenever Gnumeric or Abiword open a Save File dialog, they could read that key to determine the default path.

Todd