Re: Desktop Customization

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 02:24, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> Hi Pat,
>
> On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 22:20, Pat Costello wrote:
> > At the risk of being an utter pub bore, here is another example of how people
> > understand the term "desktop" to have a global sense. I doubt very much if
> > Alberto is wanting to know how to further customize the thing behind the icons.
>
> 	I'm curious ... are you frustrated that definition is wrong or that
> people have the wrong understanding of the term? i.e. do you think the
> definition should be changed or that we should all wise up and start
> using the word as it is currently is defined ?

At the risk of speaking for Pat, who is smarter about this stuff than I,
the frustration is that we have to find some way of using the words that
provides the necessary precision for communication while somehow
matching the definitions people already have in mind. This word is
clearly understood by different users and in different contexts to have
different meanings, which makes unambiguous use a real chore.

I rather think of Pat as our linguistic ornithologist here - "Oh look,
the brown noddy also nests in the mangrove!"

Cheers,
John
--
John Fleck
http://www.inkstain.net http://www.abqjournal.com

"Sometimes, a diner is all about the mac and cheese."
  - Zippy the Pinhead