Re: GNOME 2.2 Desktop Release Candidate 1 (2.1.90): "1.21 Jigawatts"

On Sun, 2003-01-12 at 05:55, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> GNOME 2.2 Desktop Release Candidate 1 (2.1.90): "1.21 Jigawatts"
>
> GNOME Desktop 2.2 Release Candidate 1 (2.1.90): "1.21 Jigawatts", is ready
> for your bug-busting and testing pleasure! It is available for immediate
> download on ftp.gnome.org and mirrors.

Cool, a Release Candidate!

[snip]
> If you're a big fan of GNOME, but haven't had the courage to install one of
> the 2.1.x unstable releases, now is the time to give it a try! This release
> candidate is very stable for daily use, with no horrible, time-wasting bugs
> to distract you (though it does have its fair share of niggles). We're very
> keen to see more testers play with the new code before we give it the big
> "TWO POINT TWO FINAL" rubber stamp.

Hmm, that sounds a little bit odd...  Sure sounds a lot more like a beta
release than a release candidate.  Maybe I should look at the website...
[pause]...  Well, now that's really odd.  It sure looks like this "GNOME
2.2 Desktop Release Candidate" isn't actually a candidate for the GNOME
2.2 Desktop Release, but instead, is just another beta, after which
there are plans for a release that is actually a candidate for the GNOME
2.2 Desktop Release.

Maybe I missed something, but why is there something called a release
candidate that is just a final beta release?  Your local release naming
prude,
	Greg

[snip]
--
Gregory Leblanc <gleblanc linuxweasel com>