Re: Call for 2.2 Screenshots

Calum Benson wrote:

On Fri, 2003-01-31 at 15:30, Havoc Pennington wrote:

In GNOME 2.2, a "theme" is now a collection of subthemes, such as icon subtheme, GTK+ subtheme, and metacity subtheme.

Weren't we going to use "theme set" and "theme" rather than "theme" and
"subtheme"?  No point in making up words when there are perfectly good
ones already available :)

Cheeri,
Calum.

Calum,

In normal english usage a 'theme' implies a thread of continuity or similarity that ties together a number of items. I think the word theme for a desktop's appearance came originally from mswin, where they were indeed 'themes' in the normal english sense of the word - eg. music theme, medieval theme, racing car theme, etc... where icons, sounds, desktop colouring etc all worked together to make up a theme. But a wm framestyle or application skin by itself doesn't have much to do with the normal english usage of the word theme.

'Subtheme' and 'theme set' are both just completely wierd nonwords :-) A theme is a theme. Other stuff can be called whatever - icon sets, window frames, backgrounds, skins, chrome, looks, render, facades ( panoply? livery?, ok getting silly ). my 2c.

Darryl Rees, English Pedant