D-Bus again

Hi Alan,

> From: Alan Cox <alan redhat com>
> > Applications (on the network and/or the localhost) can then ask the
> > daemon to get a layer of a clipboard in the history (A clipboard can
> > have different layers, or targets. For example the HTML view of such a
> > clipboard, or the TEXT view, the PNG view or whatever format the
> > application desires). Because such clipboards can be binary the content
> > will be or UUEncoded or served as a HTTP url
>
> Please make it talk via X properties, otherwise its yet another network
> mess we don't need and another "doesnt work through firewalls" we don't
> want to deal with.

Please don't say things like that!

-- there are legit graphics-less desktop apps that help support GUI apps
   that need to pass messages to each other, and they shouldn't have to
   open connections to a possibly remote x server to do so.
   (gconf for example)

-- there are server apps that need this kind of function too.

I have used gtkobjects in a pure-server app because it was a quick
and easy way to handle events and callbacks.  Making gobjects was
the 'right thing'.  Forcing d-bus to depend on existance of an X-server
would be wrong.

--linas

p.s. off-topic: when will redhat ppc64 kernels get KDB in them?

--
pub  1024D/01045933 2001-02-01 Linas Vepstas (Labas!) <linas linas org>