Re: cursor themes, XFree86-4.3 and the mouse dialog

Op za 26-07-2003, om 02:23 schreef Jeff Waugh:
> <quote who="Luis Villa">
>
> > On Fri, 2003-07-25 at 12:22, Jonathan Blandford wrote:
> > > Another possibility (that I don't like) is to simply hide the control
> > > when run on a newer server.
> >
> > That's the one I want. I don't want another mess where crashy code gets
> > checked in at the last minute. Supporting the new server is a new feature,
> > period. It sucks we didn't think of it and do it earlier, but that's life.
>
> I have to agree; the theme manager decision came back to bite us in the arse
> last time, despite how reasonable and achievable it sounded. Let's go for
> the low-tech bug avoidance solution this time around, and put it on the road
> map for 2.6. :-)

I don't like that option.
XFree 4.3.0 has been released last February. My memory could be playing
tricks on me, but I thought someone already mentioned it on this list
some months ago (can't seem to find it though).

If we rush things and include this at the last minute, we might have
some minor issues. If we make this wait until 2.6, it will me more than
a year (!) in which GNOME does not have support for X 4.3 cursors.
That's not really what we'd want, is it?

And it's actually a solution to a regression-bug...if you look at it the
right way. :)

The best solution IMHO would be to first test the new code, and be
prepared to rip it out again if it proves to be unsatisfactory (like the
new weather-applet). I think the users will be very happy if they knew
we'd at least tried.

Just my 2 cents,
Vincent van Adrighem
--