Re: Killing Views Part 2 - The return of the Usabilty study

On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 18:36, Colin Walters wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-06-02 at 09:26, Alexander Larsson wrote:
>
> > I don't see how you can be for a universal previewer when Nautilus is
> > designed to be that and you want to remove it.
>
> The difference is that a universal previewer would be in a separate
> window.
>
> Personally, I think we have to ask what the common case is going to be
> for users double-clicking on a file.
>
> For text files, I think that's pretty clearly going to be editing the
> file.  If they just want to view it, they don't make any changes.  So we
> should pop it up in gedit.
>
> For PDF and PostScript files, that's pretty clearly just "view the
> file".  Here's where a universal previewer would come in handy.  Note
> this is all we can do, because GNOME doesn't have any applications for
> editing PDF or PostScript directly.
>
> For image files, it's a little bit less clear.  Probably we want to open
> up in the universal previewer, but have a prominent way to get to the
> gimp.

"Nautilus in a new window with sidebar enabled" is probably the closest
we have to that right now. It might be worth building on that - when you
click on an image, you get a new nautilus window without location bar or
most cruft and the "Open in GIMP" etc. buttons visible somewhere,
solving the problem without forcing people to have the sidebar visible
all the time.

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>

"A freudian slip is when you say one thing but you mean your mother." -- unknown