Re: gnome-network 1.99.0

On Tue, Jun 03, 2003 at 09:36:02AM +0800, James Su wrote:
> Is it possible to add a ppp dialer program into this package? Like kppp.
> I think ppp dialer should be a user application, it's not so suitable to
> put into gst.

gst, ppp dialer, the control center, and how all those appear in the
menus need to be approached as a complete unit so the whole desktop
ends up making sense. If I want to configure my Internet connection,
there should be one place to go that just works and does the right
thing. It needs to be thought through starting with what the user
should see, not starting with how tarballs are split up.

Not saying a "ppp dialer" app is wrong, but I think it probably is.
You definitely need a UI design that includes all of ppp, per-user
network config, systemwide network config, and current
gnome-network-preferences app *in the design*. Now, the design may be
best implemented in multiple tarballs or with multiple executables;
but you need to do the design before you know that.

Havoc