Re: GNOME Nirvana; How to reach it and what to do once we get there.

Since I won't be able to argue this at GUADEC, I thought I'd just make
a few small comments.

In general I agree with Iain's assessment. We have no real problems
with what we produce, it's how we present it to the world.

There should certainly be recommended products, but it needs not just
a quality rating (which is a good idea), but also an idea of where it
fits into the infrastructure i.e. basic libraries, basic desktop,
blah, blah, blah. We all know in theory how this works, but currently
people are presented with isolated software map entries or a big ftp
directory. A simple web page with categories: basic libraries,
basic desktop, recommended apps, extra apps. With the current release
filling the first three categories and fifth toe the last (or
something like that). Perhaps also break up the release directories in
a similar way so that people can just do a bulk download on the basic
directories and pick and choose from the rest.

That is a really incomplete idea, but it should be simple to implement
with immediate benefit.

 - Callum