Re: Spring Loaded Folders Reloaded

On Sat, 2003-03-01 at 12:11, Julien Olivier wrote:
> Le ven 28/02/2003 à 17:08, Christophe Fergeau a écrit :
> > >
> > > However, looking at the Apple latest patent [1], it is clear that the
> > > patch would make Nautilus violates claim 1 of that patent.
> >
> > To my eyes, the more sensible thing to do with respect to patent is to
> > never read any so that you can say you didn't know about it if there is
> > some problems :)
> > Moreover, this apple patent is probably valid in a few countries, and I
> > don't think it's really fair to reject this patch because it's illegal
> > in the us (and maybe a few other countries). You can #ifdef it out in
> > the problematic countries if you want to be safe :)
> >

> I'd say that when a law is ridiculous you're not forced to obey it. This
> is the case here. We should NEVER respect software patents because
> respecting them reinforces them. I really think it's our duty not to
> respect them.

Unfortunately, whether you respect them or not, doesn't stop you from
being sued for millions of dollars, thrown in jail, and otherwise having
your life utterly ruined by a greedy bastard in a suit who already has
more money than you ever will.

The correct thing to do, for all the US citizens here, is to get off
their rears and write some letters to their representative/senator, or
use the EFF Action Center (http://action.eff.org).  Anyone who won't
take the 30 minutes to do this should from here out shut up and never
complain about stupid laws again, since it's obviously not worth their
time to correct it.

For all non-US citizens... I wonder if the US Trade Committee (or
whatever we call them) would be interested in how foreign people would
rather lock out the US from trade than deal with our stupid laws...
surely theirs a way to express opinion to them as well.  Wonder if the
EFF has some info on it...