Re: desktop-devel-list digest, Vol 1 #1099 - 13 msgs

On Mon, 2003-03-03 at 15:03, Bill Haneman wrote:
> .
> >  --- Bastien Nocera <hadess hadess net> wrote:
> > >
> > > The problem with using CORBA is that, for simple things like what d-bus
> > > would be used for, CORBA is overkill, overengineered and heavy.
> > >
> > > Take a look at the amount of code one would need to write to get a
> > > simple IPC between to sessions of one app, with CORBA and dbus.
>
> Don't we already have that? (bonobo-property-bag, etc.)?

Yes.

> There's no point in arguing "takes too much code" if the code is already
> implemented and bundled, unless you are arguing about memory footprint.

I'm arguing "too much code for the developer that wants to use these
features". And the amount of infrastructure needed as well...

I personnally don't give a damn about 100k of memory, if it did what I
wanted. It doesn't. The API is gross.

Give me the ability to do IPC with Corba/Bonobo without
writing/compiling/putting in my build system a .idl, and without having
to install a .server file, and I'll use it.

> I for one don't want to deal with 'yet another IPC API' unless the wins
> are a lot more obvious.

Seems clear to me.

--
/Bastien Nocera
http://hadess.net

#2  0x4205a2cc in printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity) from
/lib/i686/libc.so.6 printf ("Oh my %s\n", preferred_deity);
Segmentation fault