Re: moving the mailcheck applet to gnome-applets HEAD

Hi Luis,

On Thu, 2003-03-06 at 11:33, Luis Villa wrote:
> On Wed, 2003-03-05 at 17:39, Mark McLoughlin wrote:
> > Hey,
> > 	Kevin and I discussed this a while back - it doesn't really make much
> > sense having it in gnome-panel ... Yes, which applets are in gnome-panel
> > and which ones are in gnome-applets is pretty arbitrary, but I think
> > mailcheck is an obvious one.
>
> So, about the general-case issue: is there any reason for any applets to
> be in panel, outside of maybe the new foobar replacement, window menu,
> and clock (i.e., all the stuff that used to be on foobar?) This seems
> like a weird and arbitrary historical thing that (among other things)
> certainly makes figuring things out difficult in bugzilla.

	I think it makes sense to have "core panel functionality" in the panel.
So along with the ones you mention, I would include the pager and
tasklist and the notification area. Oh and Wanda is a misfit no matter
where you put the old dear so I think the panel is as good a place as
any.

	Weird and historical it still kinda is, but its not totally wacky any
more.

	Btw, there's no reason why we have to these products in seperate
components in bugzilla. We could move all applets into gnome-applets
component and make gnome-panel-maint the maintainer of the panel ones.
How does that sound ?

Good Luck,
Mark.