Re: Themes, Icons, Desktop Integration/Consistency, and The GNOME Architecture

On Fri, 2003-03-07 at 06:14, Bill Haneman wrote:
> >        Also, as far as consistency goes, the UI Prefs for deciding
> > which toolbar style to use, and icon size in the toolbar, seem to have
> > the ability to be set with XSettings,
>
> Is this the same thing as the "gtk-icon-size" string in the RC file, or
> different?  I think we should surely have only one icon-sizing API.

The icon size enumeration has both small-toolbar, and large-toolbar;
it basically predates the use-configurable icon sizes, but there
might be also some idea here that you might want to switch the
relative size of your toolbar icons without changing your overall
icon scale.

> I agree with dobey that the current situation is not great.  I've been
> fretting about gtk-stock-icons versus THemes versus desktop-icon-themes
> for awhile.  I do get nervous about suggestions that icon theming move
> into gnome-vfs, but am too ignorant to explain exactly why :-)
>
> One upon I time I thought I heard that gtk-stock-icons should
> integrate/interop with the desktop-icon-set "spec" (which I guess is
> still kind of immature?)  I raised this a few weeks ago but nobody took
> the bait.  It seems to me that, if feasible, this is the kind of thing
> we should aim for in GTK+-2.6 if it can't be done in time for GTK+-2.4
> (but surely we don't want to wait for GNOME 2.8 to fix this!)

It's listed on http://www.gtk.org/plan/2.4/; I'd certainly like
to see it, partly because the current GTK+ system has some major
design flaws in it -- replacing it would be a good thing
regardless of integration issues. (But integration issues also
are important)

Regards,
                                        Owen