Re: Notification Area guidelines

<a-lot-of-emphasis>
Havoc Pennington wrote:
I like that we could actually explain how the notification area is
different from applets if it's basically an event notification
service.

This whole conversation seems slightly broken to me - we have this
wacky implementation detail, which is an applet that can contain
arbitrary icons, and we're trying to figure out some way to use it
that doesn't suck. But we aren't even sure what the problem is to be
solved or why we have the thing in the first place. ;-)

The less-annoying-than-dialogs event notification idea does seem like
a nail we could hit with our hammer-we-aren't-sure-what-to-do-with.

Though, I think the hammer is a bit malformed for an event
notification service, i.e. the spec could be beefed up and enhanced to
support the right kinds of properties and events on the notification
icons.
</a-lot-of-emphasis>

This is the most accurate description I've read thus far and the most in tune with what I've been able to make of the actual system tray draft.

--
Robert McMeekin (rrm3) <viper mcmeekin info>