after updating cvs...

Hope this is the right list to post to, if not please excuse me, but
after updating to the latest CVS packages (GNOME CVS on Redhat
Rawhide),my main menu icons are all missing, my nautilus desktop icons
are now the generic ones, and when i try to change certain prefs (like
the theme) i get this error message;

 ERROR
 The default theme schemas could not be found on.
 This means that you probably don't have metacity
 installed, or that your gconf is configured incorrectly.

Thing is, yes metacity is installed and running,
and what is wrong with gconf????

I had this problem like a year ago (diff install, diff pc) and fixed it,
can't remember what it was tho.... HELP!!!!

TIA