RE: 2.4 Module List - zenity

On Thu, 2003-03-27 at 07:19, Rodrigo Moya wrote:

> this makes me think that it could be a good idea to offer an integrated
> scripting engine, as is done in Mac OS, for instance. I don't know
> exactly how this could be accomplished, but I guess making obvious to
> every GNOME user that they can write nice little scripts could be a good
> idea.

This is something I've privately advocated for a while.  The problem is
really *which* language to use.  Aside from holy wars, there's licensing
issues, and in the end user-friendliness.  People who code C all day
look at Python and call it user-friendly, but someone who's never coded
before might not agree - but then, I've never conducted a non-programmer
scripting usability study, so I can't personally make any conclusions
about it.  ;-)

It would be nice to see a solid official core GNOME scripting framework
that tied in to Bonobo.  (So that you get both in-process "plugin"
support and remote activation features For Free when you code one or the
other.)