Re: Keybindings Problems

Frank Belew wrote:

Here's the situation:
We have a Keybinding scheme selection box in the control-center
It has a dropdown with 2 choices, Emacs, and GNOME Default
I choose emacs, but in many applications (including gedit which I would
think would be one of the few to get it right), are busted.

In gedit, I hit Ctrl-A, it selects all, emacs says beginning of line
There are other examples of this kind of inconsistent behaviour
throughout gnome. Some worse than others.

Since its a problem with XEMBED weirdness and menus, I'm mailing here
instead of filing specific bugs on the apps. If this option can't be
helped, why is it there to confuse someone who _thinks_ they are going
to get their emacs keybindings?
Most likely there is a keyboard shortcut (accelerator) in one of the menus for ctrl+A. Keyboard shortcuts take precedence over keybindings, so the widget will never see the ctrl+A. I am not sure what it would have to do with XEMBED.

(this is just a description of why the problem occurs. Not a way to fix it).

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/