Re: 2.4 Proposed Modules - battfink

Hey there,

> Everyone with a laptop should try this to check that it can do everything
> that the existing Battery Charge Monitor can do. There shouldn't be any
> regressions. Suspend has never worked on my laptop so I can't test that
> myself.

Well, there are a few bugs lying around, and obviously regressions from
a user interface point of view. I think I'll probably end up at least a
'don't show label' for the status icon. Perhaps other options will be
added in time like 'run command when battery gets low' or something
[shrug].

> - The new Energy Saving control panel lets me choose a standby time, when
> xscreensaver should start. Is this the same setting (gconf?) as used by
> RedHat's (?) Screensaver control panel (xscreensaver-demo -crapplet). In
> battfink's control panel seems to be a copy of the Advanced/Display Power
> Mangement part there, so I guess you've thought about it.

Yeah, this is basically a copy of the XScreensaver stuff using DPMS.
Unlike the screensaver stuff, I poll to make sure the UI updates when
someone uses the screensaver UI or xset - I wasn't aware of anything
being put in gconf. Maybe this could be a settings daemon thing? [shrug]

> - The old Battery Charge Monitor has a "Suspend command" preference, that's
> empty by default. Does this mean that it doesn't really do suspend and sleep
> stuff at all?

Yeah, not right now - see above ;)

				Glynn