Two questions about medusa

I've had more of a look at medusa, and I've got two questions:

Firstly, it looks as though to add a content indexer for
application/pdf would require writing some c-code to make a PDF
indexing module.  Is that right?  Other indexers (e.g. htdig IIRC)
allow plugins specified in a configuration file to convert between
mime types (e.g. pdftotext for application/pdf to text/plain).  Is
this planned for medusa?

Secondly, it looks as though medusa can't search for phrases or
words including globbing characters.  Is that right?

David.