Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] 2.4 Proposed Modules - GnomeMeeting

> OK, so here any my thoughts instead:
>
> I don't think we should add GnomeMeeting for 2 reasons:
>
> 1. The same reason that we wouldn't add Gnumeric or AbiWord - they are
> useful but they are not part of a Desktop. The GNOME Desktop is not an
> exercise in bundling software (even MS has some separation between the
> Desktop (Windows OS) and Office. Others disagree with this fundamental
> point.

That's a decision which has to be taken, but then you need to be
coherent for the whole desktop. I just would like to say that Microsoft
is shipping with Netmeeting *by default*.

It is up to you to determine if you want GNOME to have features that
other desktop environments do not have, or if you prefer to wait that
they ship with such an application too before deciding to include one in
GNOME.

If people have to make a choice between 2 desktops, they will choose the
one that offers the most possibilities in terms of functionnalities.

> 2. It seems, by definition, niche. Don't you need special hardware (a
> microphone and webcam) to even use it? So it doesn't even seem usable by

You need a microphone, but not a Webcam (see FAQ).

> most people. No, I haven't tried it - I don't have anyone to GnomeMeeting
> with.

That's perhaps the reason why you argue against its inclusion.
GnomeMeeting is not only a "videoconferencing" application like most
people seem to believe it, GnomeMeeting is also more generally a VOIP
and an IP telephony application which supports an industry standard :
H323 (SIP to be supported in the future). If you want that the GNOME
desktop seduces the corporate users as well as the normal users, you
have to offer collaborative and communication tools. I can put you in
contact with people who are using GnomeMeeting in professional
environments and where it is perfectly integrated with other VOIP tools
if you want.

I really believe in VOIP and I think that VOIP will spread more and more
in the future. GNOME has the opportunity to officially include a VOIP
tool in its desktop release, perhaps you should think twice about it,
don't miss your future ;)

--
Damien Sandras <dsandras seconix com>