RE: [GnomeMeeting-list] 2.4 Proposed Modules - GnomeMeeting

> From: Damien Sandras [mailto:dsandras seconix com]
> It is up to you to determine if you want GNOME to have features that
> other desktop environments do not have, or if you prefer to wait that
> they ship with such an application too before deciding to
> include one in
> GNOME.

I think that's a decision for distros. I don't see how adding GnomeMeeting
to our official Desktop release set would change anything. It's hard to draw
a fine line, but I think _something_ must not belong in the main Desktop
release.

What do we do when a new GNOME-based VOIP application comes along? How do we
justify blessing one applicatoin over another.

> I really believe in VOIP and I think that VOIP will spread
> more and more
> in the future.

That would be the most persuasive argument for including it. I don't much
like the idea of bundling a browser either, but the Web is now such an
every-minute thing that it has become part of the regular desktop
experience, so it's hard to argue against that.

However, I don't personally have any idea whether VOIP will become an
everyday part of Desktop usage. Until it does, I would prefer not to bless
or support a particular VOIP application. Nothing stops people from
installing it if they want it.

Also, you could also say "I really believe in spreadsheets and I think that
spreadsheets will spread more and more in the future.". But that wouldn't
justify bundling gnumeric with the GNOME Desktop.

This is just my personal opinion.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com