Re: [GnomeMeeting-list] 2.4 Proposed Modules - GnomeMeeting

On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 17:06, James Henstridge wrote:
> Andrew Sobala wrote:
>
> >No. I don't have a microphone and nobody I know uses audio-type chat.
> >That's the point.
> >

> I am a bit skeptical of the above statement.  They probably call them
> "phone calls" rather than "audio chat" though :)  When evaluating a
> piece of software like GnomeMeeting, remember that it is not just
> another IM solution.
>
> With the appropriate hardware, you can set up a gateway that lets
> GnomeMeeting make and receive normal phone calls.  This increases the
> number of people you can communicate with to a level way above any IM
> client.
>
> Telephony hardware is at a price where companies can start considering
> VoIP and telephony gateways as a replacement for PBX systems.  In a
> situation like this, a tool like GnomeMeeting would be as important as
> your telephone.

Ah.

** reads and starts again **

I'm convinced about the importance of GnomeMeeting now, if telephony
hardware is becoming common. I still don't think it's useful enough to
be in the core desktop; I think that should be the "everybody needs a
[email|browser|other] app" category.

As other people have said, maybe we need to define more release
categories than the current Platform - Desktop - Office - 5th toe
(everything else) ones.

Hmmm,

--
Andrew Sobala <aes gnome org>

"A freudian slip is when you say one thing but you mean your mother." -- unknown