RE: [GnomeMeeting-list] 2.4 Proposed Modules - GnomeMeeting

> On Wed, 2003-05-07 at 18:30, Andrew Sobala wrote:
> > As other people have said, maybe we need to define more release
> > categories than the current Platform - Desktop - Office - 5th toe
> > (everything else) ones.
>
> How about this:
> * Developer plattform
> * Desktop (just the desktop, no applications that aren't part of the
> desktop like Nautilus)
> * Core Applications (or some other name; providing a common toolset
> which basically everyone needs, text editor, PDF viewer, calculator,
> email, browser, VOIP, ... :))
> * Fifth toe (non-essential but "gnome certified" applications)

I think, instead, we just need to get more serious about 5th Toe. That's
happening, I think. People need to know that being in 5th Toe is significant
and that you don't need to be part of the official GNOME Desktop release to
be liked by GNOME users.

And fifth toe should be free to contain competing applications. Any "Core
Applications" release hits the bundling problem.

Maybe people have got so used to Window's bundling that they think they
should always have all of their software dictated to them by one "vendor". I
hope we don't try to emulate that.

Murray Cumming
murrayc usa net
www.murrayc.com