Re: gnopernicus [Was: 2.4 Proposed Modules - 2 weeks left]

<quote who="Murray Cumming Comneon com">

> > I think we'll need a better bug description than "unGNOMEish" ;-)
> >
> > Most of the gnopernicus UI isn't graphical really.  I guess you are
> > referring to the runtime/configuration stuff.
>
> Jeff, I'd really like to hear some more specifics about this, considering
> that you've kind of suggested it as a potential blocker. Or has anyone
> else tried it and would like to comment?

These are non-blocking issues that would be nice to resolve when there's
time. I believe that there are better ways to do what gnopernicus does, in
terms of a11y tool launching, configuration, and interface, but there are
issues of greater importance: stability, effectiveness and appropriateness
to its primary user base (which is not me).

If the gnopernicus/gok/gnome-speech stack is found to be acceptable on
grounds of quality and a11y, then the unfamiliar and frankly scary UI
doesn't present too many problems -> if it serves its niche, that's enough.

I would be very disappointed to think that it could not be enhanced however,
given the amount of work we have put into the HIG, making existing software
(not designed specifically for a11y) accessible, etc. If the HIG and a11y
guidelines conflict, and we have to design software specifically for users
requiring a11y support, then we have failed in our goal to have a usable,
accessible desktop *for everybody*.

So, positive, but with a few issues that can be dealt with in the future.

- Jeff

    "Basically my philosophy on release management is that it should be
                like police brutality." - Maciej Stachowiak