RE: 2.4 Proposed Modules - gok

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 09:27, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:

> > need not be the default.  This is the case in GOK.
>
> Maybe I misunderstand, but I can't believe it would be OK for every GNOME
> module to have a non-standard UI as long as they each had a "be normal"
> preference. Persumably there is a good reason that gok does not use the GTK+
> theme by default?

Actually GOK *does* use the GTK+ theme in all cases, but it adds its own
GtkStyles (by default) for its custom buttons.

It _does_ have good reason to do this since these buttons need to be
visually distinguishable as to their function, and there aren't
enough/appropriate STATES in GTK+.

GOK is unusual in several ways, but it does need to be in order to meet
the specialized needs of its users.  I find that GOK is substantially
less "nice" (and for that matter, less attractive IMO) if you make it
use the GTK+ colors for its buttons.

It uses the GTK+ font face but in some cases it must use a slightly
smaller font for some button labels; that's simply a consequence of
limited screen real estate for the "qwerty" keyboard.  The alternative
would be either to split that keyboard up, or to make it bigger than the
screen, neither of which would be very nice for the user.

regards,

Bill