RE: 2.4 Proposed Modules - gok

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 15:47, Bill Haneman wrote:

> > http://developer.gnome.org/projects/gup/hig/1.0/windows.html#instant-apply
> Sigh.
>
> I just explained that this dialog cannot be instant-apply.

The link actually points to the "Instant Apply vs. Explicit Apply"
section in the HIG, though.  To quote:

"If most of the controls in your window are not suitable for instant
apply, consider making the whole window "explicit apply". An explicit
apply window has these three buttons in its button box, plus an optional
Help button:

        Apply. Applies all the settings in the window, but does not
        close the window in case the user wishes to change their mind.

        Cancel. Resets all settings in the window to those that were in
        force when the window was opened. Note: this must undo the
        effects of all applications of the Try since the window was
        opened, not just the most recent one.

        OK. Applies all settings in the window, and closes the window."

Note in particular that the definition of Cancel is a little different
from what you might expect if you're used to OK-Apply-Cancel dialogs on
MS Windows.

The HIG doesn't mention a Revert button because we always end up arguing
about whether we should have Revert, Undo or Defaults, and never decide
anything.  (There's a bug open about this).  But if it was down to me,
I'd have a Revert button which does the same as Cancel except for
closing the window, in exactly the same way as Apply does the same as OK
except for closing the window.

Cheeri,
Calum.