Re: SVG themes in GNOME2.4

On Thu, 2003-05-08 at 21:54, David Adam Bordoley wrote:
> Christian Fredrik Kalager Schaller writes:
>
> > Ok,
> > Based on the theme discussion last week my proposal is as follows
> > we move Gorilla and Nuvola into the core gnome-themes package. We start
> > with Nuvola and add Gorilla as soon as the metacity theme is ready.
> >
> > To avoid bloating the package we ditch Simple and Mist, if ditching is
> > to hurtfull we migrate those two themes into gnome-themes-extras.
>
> Ok so let me get this right:
> 1. We ditch what is now the default gnome theme "Simple," which was
> specifically put together by seth, the Usability Team leader, so that it
> could be the default.
> 2. We ditch one of the only nice clean themes that is pretty widely
> used "Mist."
>
> and we replace them with bubbly SVG themes, just because they are svg?

I personally think svg themes are pretty silly. I mean, they just take
more time to render (leading to bad performance). In the end they all
end up being pixmaps, just like the png themes. The svgs could as well
be pre-rendered.

What more is that people doing svg themes seem to have noticed that
vector formats don't render well at different small sizes, so you often
have to do several svg versions for different sizes. So you don't even
get the benefit of only having to do one size of each icon.

I just don't see the point. Maybe I'm missing something.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a sword-wielding Amish gangster haunted by memories of 'Nam. She's a
violent extravagent college professor who hides her beauty behind a pair of
thick-framed spectacles. They fight crime!