Re: SVG themes in GNOME2.4

On Sun, 2003-05-11 at 00:29, Daniel Farrell wrote:
> >> I personally think svg themes are pretty silly. I mean, they just take
> >> more time to render (leading to bad performance). In the end they all
> >> end up being pixmaps, just like the png themes. The svgs could as well
> >> be pre-rendered.
> >>
> >> What more is that people doing svg themes seem to have noticed that
> >> vector formats don't render well at different small sizes, so you often
> >> have to do several svg versions for different sizes. So you don't even
> >> get the benefit of only having to do one size of each icon.
> >
> > Well, ideally the svg engine people would take a hint from say Truetype
> > fonts and just add the capability of having certain small / common sizes
> > be pre-rendered as pixmaps. Other than that, svg engine is to me roughly
> > in the same class as an engine that called java to have swing paint the
> > widgets or did the same with ghostscript so you can have Postsript
> > themes...
>
> I've been told that librsvg renders SVG's faster than liblng render's
> PNG's...  and I haven't noticed SVG themes being any slower than pixmap
> themes...

I don't know about this. png's don't have to be rendered, so i guess you
mean decoding the files. That totally depends on how complicated the SVG
is. I very much doubt that decoding a small PNG is faster than parsing,
evalutating and rendering a complex SVG file.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a leather-clad crooked cat burglar from a doomed world. She's a
chain-smoking cat-loving nun from out of town. They fight crime!