Re: Desktop integration

On Tue, 2003-05-13 at 01:30, John (J5) Palmieri wrote:
> On Mon, 2003-05-12 at 19:19, Linas Vepstas wrote:
> > On Mon, May 12, 2003 at 07:05:02PM -0400, Havoc Pennington was heard to remark:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > This is probably best done under the heading of "MIME system" (what's
> > > now the "preferred applications" dialog in GNOME should be folded in
> > > there too). Some slow progress here on xdg-list etc.
> >
> > Well, I'll cross-post to there, but ... unless you correct me, this is
> > not just the mime-types issue.  In the editor example, I want my app
> > to get the results *back* from the 'prefered editor'.  Its not enough
> > to know the prefered app; one needs some actual interfaces into it as
> > well.
> >
> > --linas
>
> You might want to see how Anjuta 2 handles this.  I think they use CORBA
> to communicate with either Vi or Gedit.  I used the feature once where
> you can select an editor to edit the source code in and after saving it
> would reload in the main editor window.

Not entirely correct. Anjuta2 queries for BonoboControl's which support
a certain mimetype (text in most cases, but also images (you can view
.png files with EOG in anjuta2 for example)). This returns things like
the Gedit viewer and Glimmer. Glimmer furthermore implements an
EditorBuffer interface which has methods for getting pieces of text etc.
(see glimmer/idl/editor-buffer.idl for info). It also has the option to
edit the document in an external editor (vi for example).

This has nothing to do with the Preferred Applications/MIME-type system
though.

Jeroen