GEP 10 [was Re: GNOME Development Series Snapshot 2.3.0: "Mighty Atom"]

On Fri, 2003-04-11 at 15:42, Rodrigo Moya wrote:
> > Actually Abiword and mergeant are distributed in Fifth Toe, gnumeric and
> > sodipodi have not been because at the time the GTK2/GNOME2 ports were
> > not stable.
> >
> right, sorry Will, I forgot about 5th toe :-) But, then, what sense does
> it have to have specialized apps in the desktop release (such as
> gnomemeeting, for instance) and apps that everybody seems to need
> (abiword, gnumeric) in a separate release?

It is my sense that gnomemeeting (via VOIP) and $IM_CLIENT could become
powerful building blocks for other things. If gnumeric  or abiword sees
phone://617-868-9192, it could recognize that as a phone number, and use
gnomemeeting to call me. Ditto IM. And there are tons of other
applications that I can't even begin to think of- if IM and VOIP are
part of the desktop, Evo can use it, $GNOME_SCREENSAVER can check if
your friends are online, etc., etc. Gnumeric, Abi, etc., are things you
build on top of building blocks- IM and VOIP can be building blocks that
those apps build on top of, if the groundwork is done. We already think
of TCP/IP and http this way- we need to expand our thinking and toolkits
in those directions.

At least, that's how I see the distinction; I'm going to modify GEP 10
to include more explicitness in this way. Does anyone object?

Luis