Re: GNOME and superuser (privilege raising) integration

On Tue, 13 May 2003 16:30:36 -0400, Sir Sean Middleditch scribed thus:
> GNOME supports multiple platforms.  This is a simple fact.  No
> technology part of GNOME or integral to GNOME can be a Linux specific
> answer.

I don't really see what that has to do with what Hongli said... I think
the only Linux specific thing here is PAM/consolehelper right? What's
wrong with simply dropping that on non-Linux platforms. Other platform
distributors are free to customise it to whatever security system they
use, especially as this seems to be an implementation detail not reflected
in the interface.

If done correctly, ie not reflected in library interfaces etc, I don't see
why GNOME can't use Linux specific code to get better integration. Other
platforms are free to swap it out with their own thing if they so desire.
As it is, restricting GNOME to the lowest common denominator does not seem
wise.