Re: Major change in desktop handling

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 21:00, Sean Middleditch wrote:
> Actually, as a until-very-recently proponent of $HOME as desktop, I
> think ~/Desktop is probably better; the reasoning being so many stupid
> _argh!_ programs make folders in $HOME

This is a bug with those programs. That directory should be defined
someplace else. In the case of evolution, that's predicted to be there
for the second generation of the gnome2 version. The first one is only a
move to (gtk/gnome)2

> Unless Nautilus gets a way to hide items (like the menues) but then also
> a good way to unhide items (unlike the menues), $HOME is probably always
> going to be a bad choice so long as there are companies/vendors that
> think a shell script is a good way to install software.  (/me is bitter)

There is a way to do that already, but you have to do it "by hand".

Example case: ~/evolution.

Edit ~/.nautilus/metafiles/file:%2F%2F%2Fhome%2FYOURUSER.xml
Search for:
   <file name="evolution" icon_position="1014,758"/>

Notice the parameter icon_position="..."; since I have 1024x768 I just
placed this icon far from sight.

Hugs, Rui
+ So let's do it...?