RE: Major change in desktop handling

fre 2003-05-16 klockan 17.11 skrev Murray Cumming Comneon com:
> > From: Julien Olivier [mailto:julo altern org]
> > The thing is that very few apps create folders in ~/, so it could be
> > easy to convince them to change their behaviour.
>
> Nothing is that easy. But I think what you'll never avoid is some people
> using $HOME as an install prefix. So you'll never avoid
> $HOME/bin, $HOME/lib, $HOME/include, and so on.
>
> I wish we could just use $HOME as the desktop, but reality prevents it. Time
> to move on.

This will only occure when you do ./configure --prefix=$HOME solution:
./configure --prefix=$HOME/<name of suitable folder>

Most of these problems with $HOME are not impossible to solve or work
around. Just saying move on, is like dismissing the invention of the car
because the roads are to narrow. THe problems exist but might be
handled. I do not suggest that $HOME sholud be made default in the 2.4
timeframe. I suggests that is might be seen as a longterm alternative,
so that people might have the time to work on solutions to the current
problems. And when that is done it's time to continue the discussion
about making it default. Just moving on will cause this discussion to
pop up again and again, we $HOME addicts are quite stubborn and loud :)

//Snaggen, happy as long as it is available as a hidden gconf option.