A simple panel applet

I'm trying to learn how to make panel applets, but I'm stuck with a
seemingly simple error.  When I try to compile the hello-world applet
(http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/panel/unnamed3.html). I compiled it
like so:

gcc -g `pkg-config  libpanelapplet-2.0 --cflags --libs` hello-applet.c

it compiles fine without any errors, but when I run it, it gives this
error:

john johnspiegel ~/Source/tmp $ ./a.out

(a.out:10788): GConf-CRITICAL **: file gconf-client.c: line 545 (gconf_client_add_dir): assertion `gconf_valid_key (dirname, NULL)' failed

This seems like a simple error to fix, but I haven't been able to.  Some
help?

John