Re: gnome-vnc

Rob Clews wrote:

Hey,

I've been working on porting James Henstridge's gnome-vnc to gnome2,
don't have any recent screenshots uploaded but older ones can be found
on http://gnomesupport.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2957

Is this something you want in gnome cvs, if so should it be a standalone
module or part of gnome-network.
Cool. It is great to see someone working on a VNC client for Gnome 2. You might want to look at merging some of the code from the standard VNC project though (www.realvnc.com). The latest client/server have a much better compression format, which makes VNC a lot more usable on slow links. The client can also do automatic selection of compressor and bitdepth based on available bandwidth and latency (ie. use a quick compressor on high low latency local networks, and a better compressor when the network latency makes it worth while).

There shouldn't be a problem with putting it in CVS these days. The reason I never checked it in was that VNC requires some DES code for the challenge response authentication and Red Hat was concerned about US export restrictions (since they host the CVS server, they could be considered liable).

This is a non-issue these days, since some of our core development platform libraries have cryptographic hooks.

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/