Re: gnome-utils 40% fat free

<quote who="Murray Cumming Comneon com">

> GEP 11 says that the release-team makes the decision. We just announced
> that we will be making that decision on June 2nd.

We make the final call based on our perception of the consensus. If no one
complains, we can happily assume consensus. When we do actually get to make
a strong decision is later on, if we need to decide whether to drop a module
based on quality or timeliness. That's a QA and release engineering issue,
which the community has delegated to us (and expressed their confidence in
our management of it in previous releases) - it's not a "release team makes
the big decisions" issue.

> This isn't a big deal because these particular modules almost-certainly
> will go in. It's just the principle of the thing. I want everyone to
> understand how the process is supposed to work, so everyone knows that
> they have the chance to influence the decision.

On balance, I don't disagree with Glynn's call, though he could have waited
just a little bit longer. But then, after all, he is only *removing* stuff
from his module, which is up to him as maintainer (ha ha, still the one).
Similarly, jrb has elected to add themus and fontilus to the control-center
without needing to worry about semi-formalised community blessing. As a good
maintainer, Jonathan has tested the waters already anyway, and made his
decision based on feedback, need, and all the other things in GEP 10, but in
a more casual way.

The "principle of the thing", to my mind, is that the maintainer rules, and
the release team assists. That gets tricky with entirely new modules, so we
have this interesting process of selection that involves the release team.

So yes, a quick slap on the wrist for Glynn for jumping the gun a bit, but
it's not as if the release team has any say in what he does in his module
anyway. :-)

- Jeff

--
GU4DEC: June 16th-18th in Dublin, Ireland             http://www.guadec.org/

    "I can't imagine anyone telling Emma Bunton to shut up. It would be
                        rather like slapping Bambi."